Thursday, September 26, 2013

Update- DIY Laundry Detergent

I was doing several loads of laundry this morning and thought I'd update you on a post I had earlier this summer.

If you don't remember, I talked about making my own laundry detergent.  I started this summer with getting the supplies and then working to put it all together.  I thought that this would help our family save money on this area of our lives. You can see the original post here

 I've been trying to see how long this batch would last for our family to decide if it really is saving us money or not.  Well, I am here to let you know that as of right now, I still have about another months worth of detergent left. 

So, for all you bargain hunters out there, here is a breakdown of the cost.

Regular Laundry Detergent:
I spend roughly $5-7 for a bottle of detergent and I usually need 2 bottles a month.  I buy the Free and Clear type of laundry soap because I have kids with sensitive skin.

DIY Laundry Detergent:
I spent $21 for all the supplies to make my own detergent, and right now I am going on 3 months of using it with one month or more still to go. 

So, after four months I would've normally spent $30-40, and here I've spent $21.  Now, I am having to get used to having a 4th member of our family to do laundry for, and that may change things a little, but surely not too much. 

I just thought I'd let you all know how it has been working for us!!!


the Ehrlich's


No comments: