Sunday, February 12, 2012

Weird Birthday

This year for some reason, I just wasn't into celebrating my birthday.  I'm not sure what it was, but I just felt really blah and out of sorts this year for my birthday. Usually I'm pretty ready to have the day/weekend planned and bring in some treats and set aside some time to let the kids have a break for a short time during our day. 

This year, I just haven't been feeling quite like celebrating.  I have been feeling really busy with work, home, and just finding some quiet time to spend with God and with myself.  To be honest, I am one of those people that needs time to myself or I am no good to anyone.  Whether it is watching a favorite TV show or movie, or just relaxing with a good book.  I need time to myself!!!!  Don't get me wrong, I love my family and friends, but sometimes I just need some me time to do what I want to do.  I also have a bad habit about feeling guilty when I do get time to myself.

I guess that is why this year my birthday has been pretty weird.  Yesterday, I was feeling pretty good and wasn't even going to mention my birthday at all.  But to my surprise, my awesome co-worker remembered and had my class make cards for me and brought in chocolate chip cookies that I definitely shared with them and with the rest of my staff.  Also one of my kids from last year (I call him my KU buddy) came in after the bell rang and gave me a card.  That was so totally unexpected.  I also had planned to walk with my friend Janel.  We usually have a walking date planned on Fridays after school, b/c neither of us really likes doing much on Fridays after a long and busy week.  Well, it was WAY too cold to walk outside, so she joined me in one of my walking videos.  Actually it incorporates walking and jogging and then has a little yoga to stretch.  I really like it, not sure what my friend thought about it, but she got a taste of my workout skills.

When I got home I was just feeling really tired and worn out from the week.  We ended up having leftovers for dinner.  After that I just started feeling really bad!!!!   I had absolutely no energy and my stomach felt like it was tied up in knots.  I pretty much was no good to anybody all night long.  I read books to Jaycee until she went to bed, and then I was mostly sick the rest of the night.  What a way to start my birthday weekend.  By late Friday night, I ended up throwing up everything that I had eaten that day and felt a lot better, but so very weak.  

Saturday morning, I slept in really late.  I had no appetite, and Tom and Jaycee ran an errand and got me some really beautiful flowers to brighten my day.  Tom's mom ended up coming here to watch Jaycee while we hung out just the two of us.  We went to Jason's Deli for lunch (which was not the plan, but since I was sick the night before wanted something light), we did a little shopping, where I got two new movies, then we went and saw a movie.  We haven't been to a movie in quite a while.  Then it was time to get back to reality and head home.  Once we got home, I was ready to see my little girl and to know what her and grandma were doing all day.  It was early evening by the time we got home, and Jaycee was laying down on the couch then came over to give me a hug with a little bit of a  whine to her and then she was crying a little.  I started to rub her stomach and then all of a sudden, blat!!!  That's right, she threw up all over me.  Luckily I caught most of it in my coat, and her blanket, but we headed up and I threw her in the bathtub as quickly as I could.  What a way to end the evening.  The weird thing was that she seemed perfectly happy right after she threw up.  I think that there might be something going around, but not so sure.  She was a little bit this way last weekend too. 



Despite all the weirdness, plans going awry, and just not being excited about my birthday, I am so thankful to have an awesome husband who didn't want me to lift a finger most of the weekend, and left me to relax.  I am also thankful that I am feeling better and that my family is getting back on the mend from the crazy flu like symptoms.  I hope that we have seen the last of it, at last for quite a while.  

I am reminded of these verses, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:11-13  These verses have gotten me through a lot of things in my life, and sometimes when plans don't always go the way you anticipate them to go, you have to go with what you're given at the time.


the Ehrlichs

No comments: