Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Taking the Challenge (Losing It Series)

It's been a while since I last spoke about my weight loss and healthy lifestyle efforts.  I have to admit that I hit a little bit of a slump.  I was doing so great with my morning workouts, but then winter hit.  Actually I don't even think it is winter yet, but it has sure felt like it these past few weeks.  The motivation I once had to get up and exercise is just not there. 

I have continued to go to Zumba at least twice a week, but my goals have hit a plateau and so has my weight.  So my workout buddy and I found out that the Y in our area is having two holiday fitness challenges. 

Group Exercise 12 Class Challenge
My friend and I have been meeting once or twice a week for Zumba classes.  I have loved the accountability and it makes me work even harder to not miss a class since I know she will be looking for me.  Anyways, the Y has a challenge that started the week before Thanksgiving and ends the week of New Years.  They want us to try to get in 12 group exercise classes during that 6 week time period.  With the $5 fee, I just need to have each instructor sign my card at the end of class.  If I reach my goal I get a really cool T-shirt.  You can never have too many T-shirts.  It seems like that is all I wear these days.

Battle of the Bulge
So I had to pay $5 to enter into this challenge too.  What I have to do is maintain my current weight, or lose between now and the first week of January.  So that meant getting back on the scale.  I can't tell you when was the last time I weighed myself.  I used to do it once a week, but got really discouraged when I didn't see results from week to week.  So now I think I may be trying it a little less often than once a week, but not as long as three months, and with this new challenge, I have to weigh myself at least that first week of January.  So I have at least a month to maintain what I've already done or lose it.  If I meet the goal, will get another T-shirt.  Wish me luck!!!


On a side note, my friend and I have decided to try weight lifting.  It has been hard to find a routine that works for both of our schedules.  With her owning her own business, and me with two little ones - enough said right?  We talked to a girl after Zumba one night and she introduced us to a program called A Workout Routine:  The Muscle Building Workout.  You can find a link to it here.  We have been doing it on a somewhat steady basis for about a month now.   I recently started to try for 4 days a week with some cardio before lifting.  But we both set a goal to try to do that for 3 times a week and to make it to Zumba (which is great cardio - like burning 500+ calories) at least 3 times a week.  I haven't quite made my goal every time, but I'm getting better and hopefully these challenges will encourage me to get up and go.

I'll be checking in with you later on about how my progress is going.  But what I most want anyone who reads this to know is that losing weight and trying to live a healthier lifestyle is hard and takes courage, determination, and perseverance.  While I'm not perfect at it right now, the fact that I'm working on building better habits is what matters.  Most importantly I'm finding out that taking these matters to God first and praying for discipline and strength when I'm weak has helped me see how much God loves me regardless of how I feel I look.  I'm His child and He thinks that I'm great the way He made me.  I have to first accept myself in that way and see myself the way God sees me in order to believe that He has an awesome plan for all of my efforts that align with His will for my life.  Once I get out of my own way, God can then do the work in me He has always wanted to do.  That is worth more than any number on the scale.



No comments: